Energy and Natural Resources
Chandler MHM has a long‐standing, highly recognized Energy and Natural Resources legal team, drawing on the coordinated strengths of experienced lawyers from the firm’s Banking and Project Financing, and Mergers and Acquisitions practices. The team acts for project owners, sponsors and lenders on a wide range of transactions, both in Thailand and across Southeast Asia, with a focus on Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar and Vietnam. Lawyers advise on new and continuing projects, with work including; company registration, acquisition of land and rights of way, contracting with developers and other contractors, suppliers, licensees, obtaining permits, licenses, and government approvals, negotiating financing terms, and advising on Board of Investment (“BOI”) incentive schemes.
Oil & Gas
Chandler MHM’s energy specialists represent major oil and gas companies on the submission and processing of applications for petroleum concessions, implementation of exploration programs, and on drafting and negotiation of joint venture and finance agreements.
- Major Middle Eastern Petroleum group - acting for the group on issues concerning the sale of crude oil from Block 61/48 in the Gulf of Thailand, and on related matters concerning Tap Oil and Northern Gulf Petroleum Pte. Ltd. Ongoing.
- Bangkok Bank Pcl. - acting for the bank on financing to Fuel Transportation Pipeline for construction of a fuel pipeline from Ayudhaya Province in Central Thailand to the country’s Northern provinces, and for fuel tank farms in areas along the pipeline. Closed December 2017.
- PCC ROKITA SPÓŁKA AKCYJNA - acting for this leading Polish energy company on expansion of operations in Thailand, including advising on PCC’s investment in IRPC Polyal Co., Ltd., a top tier petroleum products company in-country. Closed 2017.
- Japanese multinational - acting for a leading Japanese multinational, industrial gas manufacturer and its subsidiary on a cross-border acquisition of a major shareholding in a leading Thai gas company. The transaction included negotiation for and purchase of shares from individual and corporate shareholders. Closed November 2016.
- PETRONAS - acting for PETRONAS as major shareholder of six operating entities for the petroleum retail business in Thailand, on disposal of all operations, including all gas stations, land, relevant receivables and assets. Transaction valued at USD 103.7 million. Closed January 2013.
Chandler MHM is broadly recognized as the ‘go-to’ firm for renewable energy expertise. The firm provides advice to a diverse range of corporate, institutional and government clients in this rapidly evolving energy sector, and continues to participate in special studies and academic courses to expand the renewable/alternative energy knowledge-base.
- Phu Khanh Solar Power Joint Stock Company - acting for the Lender on project financing of a solar power project to a Vietnamese borrower, Phu Khanh Solar Power Joint Stock Company, which is a joint venture company between Eastern Power Group Public Company Limited, Eastern Printing Public Company Limited and Communication & System Solution Public Company Limited and a Vietnamese joint venture partner. (Ongoing)
- TTQN Financing - acting for the Lender on a project financing of a solar power project to a Vietnamese borrower, Truong Thanh Quang Ngai Power and High Technology Joint - Stock Company, which is a joint venture company between Sermsang Power Corporation Public Company Limited and a Vietnamese joint venture partner. Ongoing
- Nam Theun I - acting with Clifford Chance on advising the syndicated lenders, Bangkok Bank, Export-Import Bank of Thailand, The Siam Commercial Bank, and TISCO Bank on financing of the USD 1 billion Nam Theun I hydroelectric power project on the Nam Kading river in Laos PDR. The financial close was in March 2018.
- BCPG Pcl. - acting for BCPG, one of Thailand’s and Southeast Asia’s largest renewable energy producers, on a cross-border, syndicated financing from leading financial institutions for acquisition of geothermal assets in Indonesia. The project was complex based on the multiple jurisdictions involved (Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore), and the jurisdictional mix of lenders. Closed December 2017.
- Minbu - acting for Krung Thai Bank and Export-Import Bank of Thailand, as lenders, on Thai law aspects of project financing for development of a 4-phased 220 MW solar plant in Myanmar. Advice focused on loan documentation and security planning regarding sponsor’s concession to develop/operate this project on a 30-year BOT basis; off taker was Myanmar Electric Enterprise (MEPE), the Ministry of Electric Power. Myanmar Investment Commission (MIC) approved the project in March 2017.
- Watabak Wind Project - acting for The Siam Commercial Bank on financing for development of a 60 MW wind farm, Small Power Producer (SPP) power plant in Thailand. Closed October 2015.
- Xayaburi Hydroelectric Power Project - acting for lenders, Bangkok Bank, Krung Thai Bank, The Siam Commercial Bank, KASIKORNBANK, Export-Import Bank of Thailand, and TISCO Bank, on financing, due diligence, and EPC contract for this 1.3 MW hydropower project in Lao PDR. Closed April 2012.
Petrochemical and Refinery Projects
Chandler MHM has broad experience in representing project owners, sponsors, and lenders in the specialized area of petrochemical and related projects, both in Thailand and Southeast Asia. Highlights for petrochemical and refinery projects follow.
- Major Petrochemical Development Project - acting for the chemical flagship of the Thailand state-owned oil and gas group, on development and implementation of a petrochemical plant (propylene oxide) in Thailand, in which the Supply and Construction contract involves reviewing/advising on EPC contracts. Ongoing.
- Financing for Development and Implementation of a Petrochemical Plant - acting for a major listed Thai petrochemical company on the financing for the development and implementation of a new petrochemical plant. Closed December 2017.
- Labix Linear Alkyl Benezine Project - acting for the lenders, Bank of Ayudhya and KASIKORNBANK on a joint venture between the Thai Oil Group and Mitsui & Co. on project financing for design, engineering, supply, construction, commissioning, and operation of the first Linear Alkyl Benezine (LAB) operation in Thailand and Southeast Asia. Closed July 2014 and refinancing closed December 2018.
- PTT Phenol Co., Ltd. - acting for PTT Phenol on development of a Phenol Plant, and a Bis-Phenol plant in Thailand. Refinancing closed June 2018.
Mining and Mineral Exploration
Chandler MHM’s energy and natural resources lawyers act for sector leaders, advising on mineral exploration, mining and processing projects, and are familiar with all stages of licensing and government approval processes. Major clients include, LHOIST (dolomite mining), Oxiana (copper), Pan Australian (copper mining), MICCL, and Kingsgate Consolidated/Akara Resources. The firm is a member of the Mining Industry Council, and prepared a study of the Thai mineral industry for the University of Dundee, Scotland, in 1992. A short description of the group’s representation of Kingsgate Consolidated/Akara Resources follows:
- Kingsgate Consolidated/Akara Resources - acting for Kingsgate/Akara Resources on a major gold mine in Thailand and its expansion project with capacity of 185,200 ounces of gold and 1,080,400 ounces of silver p.a. Also represented Kingsgate/Akara Resources on USD 150 million project financing from Investec Bank and Thai bank syndicates in preparation for IPO, on maintenance of mining rights, and on company secretarial work.
Enquiries about Energy and Natural Resources
Please contact us by E-mail.