- English Thai
- The Legal 500, Asia Pacific 2020 – Recommended - (Dispute Resolution)
Chatchai is a Senior Partner at Chandler MHM Ltd. (CMHM). Prior to joining CMHM, he had extensive experience working with leading law firms in Bangkok. Chatchai has been in legal practice for nearly 30 years. He has extensive experience in providing advice on all kinds of corporate and commercial, international arbitration, bankruptcy and business rehabilitation, banking and finance, insurance, telecommunications, construction and labour law matters. His experience also includes focuses in dispute resolution in connection with commercial, construction, shareholding, labour, IT, IP and telecommunications. His litigation experience includes civil, criminal and administrative. He has acted for major Thai and international companies, as well as Thai state enterprises, including a Thai telecom state-enterprise.
Chatchai has led and handled numerous multinational and local clients across various industries and jurisdictions. He has been recognized in Legal 500, Chamber and Partners, and Client Choice of Lexology which awarded him the "Client Choice Winner" of Thailand for Litigation in the year 2014.
Some Representative Transactions:
- USD 3,400 million Rehabilitation Case: acting for a state enterprise applying for repayment of debt owed by a Thai telecommunications company in a rehabilitation case.
- USD 100 million Telecommunications arbitration: acting for a telecommunications company in respect of a breach of a concession contract.
- USD 100 million Telecommunications litigation: acting for a telecommunications company in respect of a breach of concession contract.
- USD 70 million expressway arbitration: acting for an expressway company claiming against the Thai government for damages arising from an expressway contract.
- Concession conversion: acting for a Thai state-enterprise for a concession conversion.
- Advance loss of profit litigation: acting for a major foreign manufacturing company in order to claim for damages under an advance loss of profit insurance policy. This is the first case of its kind in Thailand.
- Trademark litigation in Cambodia: acting for major Indonesian manufacturing companies in order to claim ownership of a trademark in a Cambodian court.
- Construction litigation: acting for an international construction company in order to claim for debts.
- Gas pipeline arbitration: acting for an international pipeline company in order to claim against a state-enterprise for damages.
- Advising and acting for a European company in bankruptcy and liquidation proceedings.
- Advising and acting for a Korean company in relation to a breach of shareholders contract.
- Advising and acting for a European IT company in a dispute relating to IT contract.
- Advising and acting for major insurers and re-insurers in relation to the insurance claims.
- Advising and acting for a Korean company in a criminal proceedings in connection with a misappropriation of shares.
- Ramkhamhaeng University (LL.M., 2003)
- Ramkhamhaeng University (LL.B., 1985)
- Extraordinary Member, Thai Bar Association
- Lawyers' Council of Thailand
- Member of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Thailand (CIArb)
OTHER EXPERIENCE/PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Partner, Thai Lawyers & Legal Counsellors Ltd., Bangkok (2018)
- Partner, DLA Piper (Thailand) Limited, Bangkok (2007 – 2017)
- Partner, Coudert Brothers, Bangkok (1994 – 2007)
- Associate, Dr. Ukrit Mongkolnavin Law Office, Bangkok (1992 – 1994)