- English Thai
Maria is a Partner at Chandler MHM Limited (CMHM), and has been with the firm since 1997. Prior to joining CMHM she had experience at another respected law firm in Bangkok, and with the U.S. governmental group in Washington, D.C. She specializes in all aspects of banking and finance, particularly project finance, and also has experience of advising the Financial Sector Restructuring Authority (FRA) on the sale of financial assets. She is recognized for her work with lenders on energy and natural resources transactions, including Small Power Producer (SPP), Independent Power Producer (IPP), and renewable energy projects in Thailand and the Lao PDR. She acts for both lenders and borrowers.
RELEVANT CLIENT EXPERIENCE
Project Finance/Refinancing: RATCHGEN, BLCP Power, Thai Tap Water Supply, Houay Ho Power, A.T. Biopower, Nam Theun 2, Ratchaburi Power, Nam Ngum 2, SIPCO, Hongsa Power Project, Solarta, First Korat Wind, K.R. Two, Xayaburi Power Project, Khanom Power Project (KEGCO), Xe-Pian Xe-Namnoy Power Project, Watabak Wind, and Nam Theun 1 (post-closing matters).
Major Asset Sales: FRA Core Asset Sales
Orchid Fund Five/Phuket Island Resort, PTTEP (ThaiOil Power), Herrick/VS Thai Herrick, TransCanada/Thappline, Ford Motor Company/Premier Sukhumvit Center (Assets), ASIG/ASIG (Thailand), CPPC PCL/CNC International, EGCO PCL/BLCP Power.
Some Representative Transactions:
- Represented the Mandated Lead Arranger and Lenders in the refinancing of the West Huaybong 2 Project (K. R. Two) and West Huaybong 3 Project (First Korat Wind), two windfarms operating in Nakorn Ratchasima Province,Thailand. Closed in September 2017.
- Represented Arrangers and Lenders on negotiations and drafting of Finance Documents for the refinancing of the Nam Ngum 2 Hydropower Project in the Lao PDR. Closed in September 2016.
- Represented Arranger and Lenders on negotiations and drafting of Finance Documents for the development of the Watabak Wind Power Project in Thailand. Signed in September 2015 and closed in June 2016.
- Represented: Arranger and syndicated lenders on negotiations and drafting of Thai-law Finance Documents and providing advice on Thailand-related matters in connection with the development of the Xe-Pian Xe-Namnoy Hydroelectric Power Project in the Lao PDR. Closed in February 2014.
- Represented: Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC), Mizuho Bank Ltd., Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Ltd. (Bangkok branch), Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ (the syndicated lenders), on drafting and negotiating the Financing Documents, reviewing all Project Documents, and on preparing the Legal Due Diligence Report for development of the Khanom Electricity Generating Co., Ltd. (KEGCO) Power Project in Thailand. Closed in December 2013.
- University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, Connecticut (J.D., 1994)
- Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts (M.S. in Mass Communication, 1986)
- Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island (B.A., 1984)
- Harvard Law School Program of Instruction for Lawyers, Cambridge, Massachusetts, Summer 2000
- State Bar Association of New York, 1995
- Massachusetts Bar Association, 1994
- Member of New York State Bar Association
- Member of Massachusetts Bar Association